Tuesday 16 July 2013

Another Birthday Cake.

One of my best friends loves giraffes so I wanted to make her a giraffe cake which I was worried about as although I make a cracking cake I'm not a great decorator. I googled some images of giraffe cakes to find one I thought I could copy and I'm pretty pleased with the results!



I know I'm repeating myself but it is important to make clear that I did NOT design this cake, I copied an image from google.

 Ingredients

100g Self raising flour
100g Caster Sugar
100g butter 
2 eggs

1 black gel icing tube
1 bag of orange buttons
1 tub of vanilla frosting (obviously you can make your own but with the heat I was worried about making it too runny!)
1 wooden skewer dipped in yellow food colouring.

What to do

Firstly make your cake  as per the Victoria sponge recipe I've posted previously as I never change it. And put mixture in a shallow baking tray which has been lined. 

Draw out your design so you have something to cut around plus its good practise for the decorating.


 
 Place the cut out of your design on the cake and using a sharp, thin knife cut around it.


 I covered the sides of the cake and the bit at the top in the non coloured frosting before transferring some to a mixing bowl to add the colouring.  Spread the yellow frosting onto the cake and using the gel tube draw out your design.

 Leave the gel to set a little bit and then melt down the buttons and put the melted chocolate straight into a piping bag before it cools too much and fill in the spaces that you need....this was a lot easier than i thought and the gel icing holds the chocolate in really well so it looks tidy.
And finished, a nice shiny giraffe cake! I really quite proud of this.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment