Tuesday 9 July 2013

Rainbow Cake

Its a lovely day and I think a lovely cake make a sunny day even better. So while my little girl is at nursery I will make her a rainbow cake! 

The last one I made was for her birthday, thanks to The Good Food Magazine rainbow cakes are extremely popular and my Facebook feeds were full of rainbow birthday cakes which sort of made me think I must make one for Aurelia to stop myself being a shoddy mummy.

I have Wilton Colours which are nicely priced and each tub of colour has lots of uses because you use such a small amount to colour the mixture.

Now the Good Food Magazine had a lovely recipe but I used my bog standard Victoria sponge recipe..it has never failed me before so I saw no reason to abandon it. As it worked out each layer was 1 egg, 50g sugar, 50g self raising flour(gluten free for me) and 50g butter. and I made the mixture for each layer separately because unlike most people I find dividing mixture a pain. Then using a wooden skewer added the colouring (literally 1 dip, except for the purple that required a few dips) You can easily tell by looking at the batter if you have enough and you can make it as pale or bright as you like by just adding more or less colouring.  These Wilton colours are very good as unlike other brands they don't make your mixture too runny or change the flavour.

Its a very striking cake and I recieved lots of praise for not alot of extra work ...definitely a winner. Its one of my favourite just because its looks so bright and happy.

xx





No comments:

Post a Comment